News Archive from November 29, 2012
- Manulife's Latest Move to Shore Up John Hancock: Tech Exec Moves to OpsNovember 29, 2012Sebastian Pariath led a global IT transformation initiative for Manulife corporate before being named head of the company's US operations at John Hancock.
- U.S. Allows WellPoint-Amerigroup Deal to ProceedNovember 29, 2012WellPoint Inc can
move forward with its $4.5 billion purchase of health insurance
rival Amerigroup Corp after Amerigroup alleviated
antitrust concerns by selling operations in Virginia, the U.S.
Justice Department said on Wednesday.
- Colombia to Offer Climate Change Insurance to Coffee FarmersNovember 29, 2012Colombia is launching insurance
to protect coffee plantations hit by climate change, which has
damaged output in the world's top producer of high quality
Arabica beans in recent years, officials said on Wednesday.
- John Hancock Consolidates Insurance Units Under Single LeaderNovember 28, 2012Michael Doughty, who came over from parent Manulife to head life insurance earlier this year, adds long-term care responsibility.
- UK Also Grapples with Wisdom of Government Flood InsuranceNovember 28, 2012In the wake of devastating flooding in England and Wales, the UK government is considering what it should do to insure losses.
- Allstate Expects More than $1 Billion in Oct. Losses Thanks to SandyNovember 28, 2012Allstate Corp expects to report
October disaster losses of $1.08 billion, mostly due to
superstorm Sandy, the home and auto insurer said on Wednesday.
- Kemper Names New Leader of P&C BusinessNovember 28, 2012Denise Lynch ran a unit within the Kemper division before taking over the whole thing.
- White House Expected to Seek Billions in Sandy AidNovember 28, 2012The White House is expected
in the coming days to send Congress a multi-billion dollar
request to fund recovery from Superstorm Sandy, which caused an
estimated $71 billion in damages in New York and New Jersey.
- MetLife's Aggressive Distribution Strategy Reaches Business MarketNovember 27, 2012Following the company's pilot of individual life insurance "in a box" at Walmarts, the company has released a new selling system aimed at helping agents and brokers more easily identify potential solutions for the business market.
- New York Life Finds New CTO InternallyNovember 27, 2012Michael Del Secolo is promoted to the position.
- Folksam Drives “Nurtured” Customer Relationships Through Co-Developed Customer Interaction HubNovember 27, 2012Through the application created in collaboration with Infor and Forrester, the Swedish mutual insurer anticipates better management of sales leads and tailored customer communication in real time.
- Aviva's Usage-Based Insurance Android App Emerges from Beta with New NameNovember 26, 2012Aviva Drive is the name of the app and a corresponding insurance product.
- MGIS Names New Underwriting HeadNovember 26, 2012The company named a new IT head earlier this year.
- Mountain West to Support Commercial Lines Expansion with Cover-All PolicyNovember 21, 2012With Cover-All’s support for ISO-based products, Mountain West Farm Bureau anticipates greater speed-to-market for new products, along with diminished maintenance on rating updates, ease-of-use and paperless efficiencies.
- U.S. Releases New Health Insurance Reform RulesNovember 21, 2012The U.S. administration on
Tuesday proposed new health insurance rules aimed at ending
discrimination against the sick and guaranteeing minimum
benefits for millions of Americans who are expected to obtain
coverage under President Barack Obama's healthcare
- AIG to Bid on Chinese State-Owned InsurerNovember 21, 2012Chinese state-owned insurer
PICC Group has secured pledges from American International Group
(AIG) and other investors to buy about half of its up to
$3.6 billion IPO, set to be the biggest in Hong Kong in two
- Insurers See Need to Modernize Claims Capabilities, Cloud Will Help - Accenture SurveyNovember 20, 2012Insurers have failed to achieve the promise of modern, configurable claims systems in significant measure, but cloud is likely to help carriers to leapfrog to future-proofed modern capabilities that can take advantage of data analytics.
- AIG Bailout Lawsuit Vs. N.Y. Fed DismissedNovember 19, 2012The Federal Reserve Bank of New
York won the dismissal of former American International Group
Inc Chief Executive Maurice "Hank" Greenberg's $25
billion lawsuit accusing it of acting unlawfully in bailing out
the insurer during the 2008 financial crisis.
- Humana Demonstrates Insurance's Leadership Role in Data ManagementNovember 16, 2012The health insurer's CIO says that the company has prioritized building a data organization that can improve healthcare on its own.
- Protective Life Names New Chief Risk OfficerNovember 16, 2012Michael Temple joins the company from Unum.
- Allianz Brings In Exec to Manage IT Aspects of Customer ExperienceNovember 16, 2012Margaret Peck will help ensure that the company meets performance benchmarks for its operations and customer experience initiatives.
- China PICC in Talks With AIG as Buyer for $4b Hong Kong IPONovember 15, 2012China's PICC Group is in talks
with American International Group Inc and others to
become cornerstone investors for its planned listing worth up to
$4 billion, in what will be Hong Kong's biggest IPO in two
- AT&T Sees $1b Opportunity in Company CybersecurityNovember 14, 2012Companies will double or
triple spending on cybersecurity in the coming years as attacks
grow more sophisticated and frequent, creating a billion dollar
business opportunity for U.S carrier AT&T Inc, it said on
- Bring It On: With Eye on the Future, AIG Returns Core Insurance Operations to AIG BrandNovember 12, 2012With eye on the future, AIG returns core insurance operations to AIG brand; "AIG as a global insurance brand is back," declares president and CEO Robert Benmosche, in explaining new branding and "brand promise" strategy.
- Design, Not Performance, Defines Success of Online Quoting: StudyNovember 12, 2012But product satisfaction still is the greatest indicator of customer acquisition.See more news