- Microinsurance: Monitoring a Maturing MarketJanuary 31, 2013Microinsurance may cover as many as 1 billion people by 2020, according to the Microinsurance Network, but questions remain as to the potential profitability of the business in a given geography.
- In CAT-Prone Haiti, Microinsurance Gains SteamJanuary 30, 2013When Hurricane
Sandy struck Haiti late last year, the home Guerda Pierre shares
with her three children and mother in Cabaret, north of
Port-au-Prince, was flooded - and so was the merchandise she
sold to make a living.
- MiCRO Demonstrates Viability of Parametric Underwriting for Microinsurance CoverageJuly 11, 2011Swiss Re released about $1 million to clients of Haitian microfinance institution Fonkoze based on publicly available data rather than infrastructure-intensive individual claims.
- New Microinsurance Facility Focuses on Catastrophe RiskMarch 31, 2011An international consortium including Swiss Re, Guy Carpenter and Mercy Corps has created what it calls a scalable, innovative model to combat the financial impact of natural disasters for Haitians.
- Technology is Key to Huge Microinsurance Growth OpportunityMarch 03, 2011Major global insurance carriers seek to move beyond saturated traditional markets to emerging economies but need to adapt IT and telecommunications capabilities to take advantage of the high-volume, low-value microinsurance market.
- With Proper Regulation, Microinsurance Presents a $40 Billion Opportunity Says Swiss ReJanuary 12, 2011The troubled Indian microcredit industry exposes some of the hazards of microfinance, but regulatory safeguards and responsible business practices can open up lucrative lines of business.
- UniRisX Appoints David Piesse as New Chairman of Asia Pacific OperationsJuly 22, 2009UniRisX appoints David Piesse, former head of Sun Microsystems Global Insurance Practice, as new Chairman of Asia Pacific Operations.